Monday, March 10, 2014

Modern Print Monday: Cecil Beaton


Garbo's Eyes from a sketch by Cecil Beaton

A new line inspired by Cecil Beaton's
sketches is available as wallpaper and fabric.

  Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton , 1904-80
England

Beaton was known for a certain casual, sketchy drawing style

Pansy from Cecil Beaton Fabric

Tic-Tac-Toe from Cecil Beaton Fabric

He wasn't really a pattern designer, but he
 created a look that is adaptable
to fabrics.

Vogue Cover by Beaton, 1938

Vogue, 1949

Publicity Still for My Fair Lady, 1964
In later years he became a set, film and costume designer, notably for Gigi and
My Fair Lady.

Nancy Cunard, 1929

He first became known for his fabulous portraits combining geometry, lighting and dramatic sitters. He also documented Britain in World War II.


Sailor sewing aboard ship

3 comments:

  1. Neat! Love the "Garbo's Eyes" chair and the sailor sewing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see a really good fabric artist recreating that vogue cover with fabric - it is so cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading this blog for months. Its not completely clear who is writing it so I really had to search. DUH!! I should have known. I don't follow patterns that often and I rarely use a block format. I was part of the group that got the Portland Modern Quilt Guild off the ground, and I've continued to be active in the group. I consider myself and active early Modern Quilter from the Flickr pool.
    I'm so thrilled to see you providing education and context for Modern Quilting. It really means so much to me on a personal level. I'm a huge fan and have checked out all your books multiple times. I mean how can we move forward till we understand the past?? thank you so much for this Great Blog. Please make a button that I can put on my blog "I read Historically Modern" I studied so much of what you cover in high school and college and squeal with glee everytime I see it in my inbox. Its a Lovely treat!

    ReplyDelete