Monday, November 3, 2014

Modern Print Monday: Neckties

Neckties from the 1940s and '50s
were the acme of modernism.

Some were advertised as hand-painted
as in this R monogram tie.


Many companies had a hand in the fad. Here's a tie 
signed the California Artists Guild.

Ardley of Hollywood
Hand Painted
"NYLON"


A "Studio Stencil"


Yikes!



Some look airbrushed

Others cut from continuous pattern yardage

but many feature a graphic designed
to fit the form, probably silk-screened.



Here's a crazy quilt from an online auction

The variety of embroidery stitches might make one think it was late
19th century...

but the necktie shape and imagery is a giveaway to mid-20th-century.

1951 ad from the Cutter Cravat company of Chicago

The copy:
"Styled for You!
A Confident...Secure...Right Feeling is yours when
you wear a Cutter Cravat Artist Original. Friends will
compliment your taste."





And people ask why my generation rejected middle class culture.


Well, not all of us.

4 comments:

  1. Wow those ties are the ones I need to finish up a bunch of crazy quilt blocks I was given at the end of my time with the local quilt guild. I love them (those ties)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad they have gotten so collectible and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post!! I've been collecting ties from thrift stores for years, mostly wide 70's ties, the louder the colors the better. Those earlier ties are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete